A fan campaign has started to boycott Quantic Dream’s new Star Wars game, Star Wars Eclipse. On Twitter, the hashtag #BlackOutStarWarsEclipse is trending, and users are protesting Quantic Dream’s involvement with the Star Wars franchise, given the studio’s past.
In 2018, reports from three separate French news outlets made accusations that Quantic Dream fostered a workplace culture for racism, sexism, and homophobia. Studio head David Cage and executive producer Guillaume de Fondaumière were at the center of these allegations.
Cage allegedly had a certain attitude towards female employees, told dirty jokes, and had inappropriate remakes about female actors in his games, as well as homophobic and racist remarks. However, Cage has since said that the allegations are false. David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumiere have since won a libel case against French publication Le Monde; but another media outlet reporting on workplace issues, Mediapart, was cleared of all charges.
Even so, users have been using the hashtag to voice their concerns with Lucasfilm partnering up with Quantic Dream. Due to the previous allegations, some users are opting not to cover the game as long as Cage is involved.
David Cage has a history of disgusting behavior, especially towards women and the queer community. The Star Wars Eclipse reveal had me *really* excited, but we will not be covering the game while Cage is involved, and we support the fans behind #BlackoutStarWarsEclipse.
— Star Wars Explained (@StarWarsExplain) December 17, 2021
Put simply, the involvement of Quantic Dream and David Cage in Star Wars Eclipse is concerning because of the studio and Cage’s reputation of toxic workplace conditions and Cage’s previous alleged statements about women and LGBTQ+ people. #BlackoutStarWarsEclipse pic.twitter.com/zAE013NGwk
— 🕯Bən McDønald 📖 (@BenIsTheWorst) December 17, 2021
Lucasfilm likes to say ‘Star Wars is for everyone’ but that isn’t the case with David Cage in charge of Quantic Dream. I’m sure there are good people working on the game however we won’t be covering it on the channel and support the #blackoutstarwarseclipse movement.
— Mollie Damon (@MollieDamon) December 17, 2021
Some users have expressed that since queer, BIPOC, and marginalized characters have been prominent in the franchise, having a studio such as Quantic Dream working on a game set in the universe isn’t appropriate.
— Catrina ⚔️ (@ohcatrina) December 17, 2021
#BlackoutStarWarsEclipse because Lucasfilm Games knowingly partnered with David Cage, who has a reputation that is antithetical to the values of Star Wars. The High Republic deserves better. Star Wars fans deserve better.
— Mark’s Forever Star Wars 🏳️🌈 (@djmmarquis) December 17, 2021
Star Wars Eclipse was announced last week at The Game Awards 2021. The game is currently in early development. The studio was rumored to be creating a Star Wars game back in September, but now it’s been confirmed.
George Yang is a freelance writer for IGN. You can follow him on Twitter @yinyangfooey